Sporadic clashes have continued overnight between demonstrators and security forces in the Egyptian capital as protests enter a fourth day.
At least 13 people died and hundreds were injured over the weekend as troops launched a major assault to clear Cairo’s Tahrir Square of protesters.
The unrest casts a shadow over elections due to start next week.
It is the longest continuous protest since President Hosni Mubarak was ousted in February.
Demonstrators say they fear Egypt’s governing Supreme Council of the Armed Forces is trying to retain its grip on power.
The council, led by Field Marshal Mohamed Tantawi, is charged with overseeing the country’s transition to democracy after three decades of autocratic rule under Mr Mubarak.
Calls for his resignation could be heard during the weekend’s protests.
Clashes were reported late into the night, with the injured being taken to makeshift clinics on the streets and in mosques around the square.
Demonstrators on Sunday were seen throwing stones and petrol bombs at armoured personnel carriers and police. Security forces responded with tear gas and rubber bullets.
Witnesses reported scenes of panic when hundreds of soldiers and police beat protesters on their heads as they chased them out of Tahrir Square.
Protesters – some of them brandishing spent bullet casings – accuse security forces of also using live fire, a claim denied by police.
In the early hours of Monday, state television reported that a truce had been agreed between the security forces and the imam of Tahrir Square’s main Omar Makram mosque.
Sheikh Mazhar Shahin said the protesters had been given the go-ahead to continue their demonstration peacefully within the square.
Violence has also taken place in other cities including Alexandria, Suez and Aswan.
At least 11 people were killed on Sunday and two on Saturday, according to medical sources. Health officials say as many as 900 have been injured, including at least 40 security personnel.
A statement from the cabinet said elections, due to begin in a week, would go ahead, and praised the “restraint” of interior ministry forces against protesters.
The military council, in a statement read out on state television, said it “regretted” what was happening, AFP news agency reports.
In recent weeks, protesters – mostly Islamists and young activists – have been holding demonstrations against a draft constitution that they say would allow the military to retain too much power after a new civilian government is elected.
Earlier this month, the military council produced a draft document setting out principles for a new constitution, under which the military and its budget could be exempted from civilian oversight.
A proposal by the military that presidential elections are not held until late 2012 or early 2013 has further angered the opposition.
Protesters want the presidential vote to take place after parliamentary elections, which begin on 28 November and will be staggered over the next three months.
The latest violence is some of the worst in months between the Egyptian authorities and demonstrators.